DECC Energy trends and prices statistical release: 28 November 201328/11/2013
The latest provisional monthly energy statistics produced by the Department of Energy and Climate Change were released on 28 November 2013 according to the arrangements approved by the UK Statistics Authority.
Highlights for the 3 month period July to September, compared to the same period a year earlier include:
- In the last 3 months primary energy consumption in the UK continued to fall, down 1.3% on a temperature adjusted basis. (table ET 1.2)
- In the last 3 months indigenous energy production fell by 6.0%. (table ET 1.1)
- Oil production down 7.4% on a year earlier, due to long term decline and maintenance activity. (table ET 3.10)
- Gas production down 3.8% on a year earlier, with the Elgin field producing again. (table ET 4.2)
- Coal provided 38% of electricity generation by Major Power Producers, with gas’s share at 27%.* (table ET 5.4)
- Wind generation by Major Power Producers down 3.7% due to lower wind speeds, with offshore wind up 5.8% but onshore wind down 11.1%.* (table ET 5.4)
- Bioenergy generation up 60.0% principally due to increased generation at Tilbury, as well as the partial conversion to biomass of Drax. (table ET 5.4)
- Low carbon share of electricity generation by Major Power Producers up 2 percentage points to 35%.* (table ET 5.4)
- Average petrol and diesel prices both fell in November. (table QEP 4.1.1)
Statistics on monthly production and consumption of coal, electricity*, gas, oil and total energy include data for the UK for the period up to the end of September 2013.
Statistics on solar photovoltaics deployment and average temperatures, wind speeds, sun hours and rainfall include data for the UK for the period up to the end of October 2013.
Statistics on energy prices include retail price data for the UK for October 2013, and petrol & diesel data for November 2013, with EU comparative data for October 2013.
The latest release updates the statistics previously released on 31 October 2013.
The next release of provisional monthly energy statistics will take place on 19 December 2013.
The next release of provisional quarterly energy statistics for Q3 2013 (July to September), will take place on 19 December 2013.